Schools Rugby: Term 3, Week 4


By NSW Rugby Media

Home Team


Away Team


St Patrick’s College

5 - 36

St Augustine’s College

St Stanislaus’ College

38 - 12

Kinross Wolaroi

St Gregory’s College

15 - 10

St Pius X College


Newington College

42 - 21

Shore School

St Ignatius’ College

25 - 28

St Josephs College

The King’s School

24 - 18

The Scots College

Sydney Grammar School


Sydney Boys’ High School

Match Reports

Sydney Grammar School 1st XV vs Sydney Boys’ High School 1st XV Sydney Grammar 17 - 7 Sydney Boyhs High School (by David Zhang)

The final game of the GPS season, Grammar and High played at Weigall in what could only be described as some quality nail-biting rugby. This fixture marked the end of the schoolboys’ rugby season, so many peers, students, teachers and parents attended to create a remarkable environment of camaraderie and support.

Returning to Weigall, Grammar had the home advantage with many students and old boys turning up to support their boys in black and gold. Sydney Boys’ High also rallied up support with many players waiting back after games to support their first XV.

From kickoff, contest was fairly even with a majority of gameplay in scrummage. When Grammar gained possession, bulky hits from Sam Hemmings allowed Steven Parras to recycle the ball to other forwards for barnstorming runs.

Sydney Boys’ responded immediately by gaining metres from wide set plays. Errors from the Bumblebees meant that the visitors were creeping up on the home tryline but were faulted due to offsides against them. This meant that Grammar were able to transfer the ball to the 22m zone where Henry Munns was able to score a penalty goal to close out the first half.

The second was then dominated by Grammar as they played some of their finest rugby yet, an amazing display of skills to produce some champagne rugby. Leon Ortega bolted on the wing, drawing defenders before offloading to Marcus Seki, before being finished by Steven Parras, conversion successful.

This was quickly followed by some more breathtaking plays as Grammar set up Lachie Andrews for a linebreak who offloaded to Stirling Smith, before being returned to Andrews and finally to Henry Munns allowing him to crash over the tryline, before converting his own try successfully.

Grammar slowed down as Sydney Boys’ determination pushed through to allow themselves to camp Grammar on their own tryline. Multiple hits from the visitors’ forwards allowed them to finally produce points, conversion successful.

After this lapse in defense, Grammar were awarded penalties in the breakdown but was responded with penalties against Grammar for ill discipline with offsides, which halted many line breaks short.

A skillful and gritty final game, the Grammar boys were able to put into action their season’s training to display some of their greatest rugby yet, testing Sydney Boys’ will, ultimately allowing Grammar to finish the season on a high, 17-7 to SGS full time.






An error has occurred. Error Loading the Article List: